Native Plants are VALUABLE for POLLINATORS.
Native Plants, also known as "prairie plants" have grown in Iowa years before humans arrived.
Advantages for Native Plantings:
- They thrive in local conditions. They survive winter cold, summer heat, drought and high winds.
- When they are established, they require little to no additional water or fertilization.
- They resist or tolerate most insect pests and disease.
- They provide season-long color and interest.
- They are excellent pollinators: serving as host plants for caterpillars and nectar for butterflies.
- Natives are excellent to help prevent erosion and air pollution.
- They provide shelter and food for wildlife.